Monday, 3 February 2014

Largely growing pile of books.


Hey so today's post is going to be about the books I keep buying despite the fact I still have some to read. It's a bad habit. It's very hard to go shopping though and avoid the bookshops. I went to London last Friday after college and my mum kept yelling at me "If you don't come out this bookshop, we will never get anywhere". Sigh. I'm going to mention where I brought the books from even though some of them are from Amazon because I find their books are cheaper, I feel like I'm betraying the major bookstores.

(Cute little pile of books. Ha.)

(I brought this book from Amazon for £5.59.)
'The Book Thief' I received as a Christmas present from my mum. I put it in an Amazon wish list so I knew I was getting it but hey it was still a present. I'm still currently reading this because I've been so busy with my college work and my job, I just haven't had a lot of time to read which majorly sucks. So, I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's written in Death's point of view, it's so surreal and I wish I had been the amazing person to write this book from this point of view. I don't want to say too much about the book and I don't want to spoil it for you. This book has been made into a film which comes out in the UK on the 28th February this year and I will be going to see it. I also cannot wait to see how well the actress portrays the protagonist Liesel in the book.

(I brought this book last Friday at the bookstore Foyles in Stratford Westfields £8.99.) (Please ignore my terribly stumpy fingernails)
The next book in my pile is 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' and I brought this in a panic because we were about to leave London and my mum was rushing me. I absolutely love the cover on this book and I've been meaning to buy it for a while now. I've seen the film adaption but I probably should have read the book first. I enjoyed the film so I'm sure I'll love this. Also, this is very sad but the author Ned Vizzini died a couple of days before Christmas last year after his own struggle with depression. I had heard how fantastic his writing was but I never got round to reading anything whilst he was alive and it saddens me. I haven't started this yet because I'm still reading The Book Thief.

(I brought this in WH Smith for £7.99)
Onto the next book 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' I brought this from Stratford Westfields last weekend. The story of this purchase was that me and my mum were about to be picked up from London and I REALLY wanted to go to WH Smith and look at the books however I didn't realize that the store was on the other side of the shopping centre and my mum had given me 10 minutes to get there, look at the books and get back. I genuinely thought I was going to die, I practically ran there and back, spent 10 minutes looking at books before I decided on this one, to add to my John Green collection. Yes I'm being a teenage girl and claiming I like him a lot, what a cliche. But after reading The Fault in our Stars, I was truly amazed because a book has never made me cry before and this one managed to so I've added a couple more to my collection.

(I got this as a present for Christmas but it's from Amazon £5.59.)
Ahhh here we are. Another John Green book 'Looking for Alaska'. My mum brought this off my wish list for Christmas which was over a month ago and I still haven't read it yet. The joys of doing your A-Levels. I love, love love the cover on this despite how loved up and romantic it is, but I'm guessing the book doesn't hold a happy ending. I just think John Green is an incredible writer, he writes kinda romancey novels and HE IS A MAN. He doesn't involve lots of sex and just inappropriate stuff, he focuses on the actual relationship which I think is extraordinary for a male writer because you don't see it often. Maybe I'm just thinking about the ridiculous stereotype of males not showing their feelings but anyway I can't wait to read this.

(I brought this from Amazon £5.29.)
Last but not least. 'The Chronicles of Narmo' written by Daily Mail columnist Caitlin Moran. I brought this after reading one of her more recent articles in The Daily Mail in English Language and I enjoyed her writing. This book was written when she was 15 (I think) and it is a child's story but I am intrigued to read her writing from a young age. I read the first couple of pages and I was impressed. I'd like to think my writing was/is that good. Once again this is on my pile of books to read even though I brought in back in November last year. 

I hope you enjoy this post and I'll continue to update when I finish reading more of these books. I'm going to try and write at least one blog post every week although next week, I might just post my piece I have written for my English Language coursework because I have a couple of college deadlines. 

Bye x