Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Recipe / Sweet Potato and Lentil Burgers

As you may all know, I am a vegetarian and have been now for over a year and I often try out new recipes or put together my own recipes which I have with this one. I like to know what goes into my food, therefore making it from scratch using fresh ingredients allows me to note down the nutrients provided in a portion. Making meals from scratch is one of my favourite things to do, if and when I have the time, because I know that there's no nasty additives in the ingredients list.
Whilst making these burgers, although I normally avoid eating high amounts of carbohydrate due to my diabetes I really fancied a wholemeal roll to go with the burgers, however when I went to the shop I checked the ingredients of a packet of rolls and an ingredient used was CARAMELIZED SUGAR!!!! I was shocked, put the packet down and when I got home, I simply settled for wholemeal sandwich thins and they did the job, lowering the original carbohydrate count from the (caramelized sugar) wholemeal rolls from 25 to a wholemeal sandwich thin of 19. You may think that isn't much of a difference, but when it comes to calculating the carbohydrate content of my meals which I have to do to manage my diabetes, it makes a big difference and actually lowers the amount of insulin needed for that specific meal.

(Burgers/patties prepped and ready to cook)

Makes 8 burgers
13g carbohydrate per burger/70 calories!!! Good right???

Ingredients List:
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (Skins left on, pricked with a fork)
1 400g tin of green lentils (Drained and rinsed)
1 grated carrot
Half a cauliflower
1 onion
Handful of garlic
20g wholemeal flour 
Seasonings of your choice to taste, I used pepper, salt and paprika. 

Method

1. Chop the cauliflower into small heads and blitz them (I used a blender) into a rice like consistency. Mix in a large mixing bowl with the grated carrot.
2. Prep the sweet potatoes for the oven, leave the skins on and prick them thoroughly with a fork, before putting them into the oven for 40 minutes at gas mark 5. 
3. In a saucepan on medium heat, begin sauteing the onion and garlic until turning slightly brown.
4. Add lentils and seasonings to the saucepan, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes.
5. Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven and take off their skins (Be careful the potatoes are going to be hot!) and mash the sweet potato with a fork.
6. When the onion and lentil mix is cooked thoroughly, remove from heat and begin mixing the sweet potato, lentil mix and cauliflower and carrot mix together. 
7. Add 20g of wholemeal flour to the mix. 
8. Split the mixture evenly into 8 balls. Use scales for efficiency, each burger averagely weight 100g.  Pat the balls into your preferred burger shape.
9. Butter your baking tray lightly before placing the burgers on it. Place in the oven at gas mask 4 for 30-40 minutes, checking frequently and turning them over. 

I'm extremely happy with this recipe, especially the carbohydrate count per burger.