Tuesday, 14 July 2015

I Am An Adult

Legally, yes I am an adult but considering I'm still in education and I live with my parents I don't quite feel like I fit the criteria for the adult life. More often but not it seems as though I should have a strict life plan, to be out of education and earning money in a full time job, to be paying bills, to find a suitable life partner, to be cooking dinner every night that every stereotypical woman should be, to be doing the housework and to be learning how to drive. I'm not doing any of those things yet and this post almost ties in with my previous post about failure (this post here). Perhaps because other people my age (I'm 19) are already settling down, buying cars, moving out of their parents home, having full time jobs and beginning to start families. I compare myself to these people and ultimately, I feel once again like a failure, however starting a family isn't my plan.

My plan involves

  • Passing my A-levels, I still have one year left to go and am awaiting my AS results next month.
  • Apply to university.
  • Study, study, study.
  • Get into the university I love the most. 
  • Study, study, study. 
  • Get a part time job whilst I'm studying.
  • Recover. This is the most important one to me, this comes before anything else, this comes before money and learning. I'm going to be vague about my problems until I write a longer post about it, but I suffer with several mental illnesses that I haven't touched on too much. 
That's it. That's how far my plan goes. I don't have any idea what university I want to go to, hell I don't even know what career I want to go into and that is okay. To give myself time is all I can do as a human. I'm only 19 and I have my whole life ahead of me. There's no need to rush things, I want to travel the world and I'm worrying I'm running out of time. I want to go to America and see the 9/11 memorial. I want to go to Amsterdam and visit the Van Gogh museum and Anne Franks house. I want to travel around France like my mum did as a young adult. I want to write something that gets published into the big wide world. 


Some of you have well thought out life plans and some don't. Comparing your goals to somebody else's will halt your progress. Work on you, for you. Don't go for that job if it doesn't make you happy, but it makes your mum happy. Your happiness is the most vital. You're in charge of your own happiness, so referring to the quote up above (Thank you Pinterest for your excessive amount of motivational quotes) do what you have to do to get where you want to be. It may take blood, sweat and tears but in the end, it'll be worth it. You'll be able to say I graduated university, I travelled the world, I became a mum or a wife or I got that job. 

For the time being, until you reach where you want to be, make yourself small short period goals that are achievable and give yourself more credit. 

My small goals include (These are also little things that will make me happy)
  1. Get out of bed. 
  2. Write.
  3. Make the most of every day.
  4. Smile at a stranger a day.
  5. Exercise daily, reach my fitness goals.
  6. Read.
These seem like New Year's resolutions and maybe that's just what they are... But half way through July. 

What are your goals? Both long term and short term.